get it on
Windows/Linux: Download Vis/Client jar . right mouse button - open with 'Sun Java 6 Runtime'.
Mac: unzip VisClient...zip. Doubleclick on 'VisClient'
Click to the input field at bottom right to "keyword:". Enter some word. Press enter.
|Vis/Client allows the placement of various data sources in a three-dimensional environment. New search terms can be entered into a query field, or can be navigated to from an existing object (eg. keyword). Clicking on a keyword opens a menu that allows further requests to a variety of data sources. All other objects like images and textscreens can be moved by click&drag. A single click on an image shows the full res version in the foreground. Click and drag can be used to move images and textpanels. Also whole collections of images can be moved with the orange cube handle. A click to the cube toggles among different layouts.|
Clicking into the void between the objects while keeping the mouse button pressed changes the mouse into a navigation control.
Various directions of movement can be obtained by using the different mousebuttons.
An assistance for easier navigation is the floor that moves upwards with each new search request and so simplifies the navigation within the most recent results. If a searchterm is entered that already exists as an object, navigation is automatically directed to that object.
Below you find two fields to enter the source and keyword.
Clicking the "source" fields pops up a menu to select from a predefined list (which can be altered, see "edit..."). By pressing Enter after entering a "keyword", the query is issued.
mouse (click and drag background):
- left button: walk, control heading
- middle button: look up/down
- right button: lift, strafe
mouse (object manipulations):
- objects can be dragged around.
- keywords reveal a menu upon click, allowing to fetch several sources with it.
- images enlarge upon click
- imagefields relayout upon click on the orange cube. right button propagates layout to sub imagefields too. the green + fetches more images from the same source.
- log bubbles can be hovered over to reveal who fetched what, and clicked to repeat this query for us.
buttons (large grey ones):
- show edges: toggle object connections visibility
- save viewpoint: ..
- animate viewpoints: animate a trip passing all viewpoints
- automate: let vis/client do it on its own
- Cursor keys: walk, control heading
- Page up/down: lift
- Backspace: return to previous viewpoints
- Shift: look at last querys keyword
- CTRL v: paste clipboard to 3d space
- CTRL b: browse hoovered item
- CTRL s: save images from foreground overlay to users homedir
- ESC: clear out foreground overlay (images etc.)
- CTRL m: show/hide map view
- CTRL w: clear all objects
- CTRL h: show/hide buttons on left edge
- CTRL F10: save a screenshot abspeichern
- F1-F?: invokes function of related button
- CTRL p: open preferences panel
drag'n drop, clipboard:
- this can be drag'n dropped to the space:
- picture and video files
- a directory containing pictures or video files
- a link in a browser to a website
- a link in a browser to a picture or video file
- subtitle files in .srt format
- calendar files in ical/.ics format
- this can be pasted by ctrl+v:
- a text
- an image
- one or more urls to image or video files
- an url to a website
if the 'log' checkbox in the lower bar of the client is checked, search requests and individual image views will be logged with your name entered in the field next to it. the history of all users searches are presented by the log bubbles for everyone. it takes up to one minute for a search to get represented.
some adjustments can be made in the dialog that comes up pressing ctrl+p.